View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Noel

Default Johann Cruyff--A Tribute

The soccer world lost an absolute treasure this week with the passing of "The Flying Dutchman". The centerpiece of architect Rinus Michels "Total Football" where teammates rotate seamlessly through every position, Cruyff led the Clockwork Orange to the 1974 World Cup final by dismantling South American giants Argentina and Brazil. He patented his signature move, the "Cruyff Turn" in which he would fake a pass one way and then about face with his back heel in the opposite direction. He brought much needed excitement and enthusiasm to a game that was mired in physicality and defense. According to Cruyff, "You play soccer with your head, your feet are there to help you along". As innovative and creative a player as we have ever seen, Julian Laurens summed up his legacy well:

"Cruyff revolutionized football; he was football and was applauded so much through his career, both as manager and player, that it felt far more appropriate to do it this way. So we clapped hard. You could see tears on people's cheeks and in their eyes. You could feel the emotion rising, heavy in everyone's heart. A beautiful tifo was displayed by some fans. On the big screen, a photo of the great man was displayed. I can't recall a game being interrupted to pay tribute to someone and then to start again. The Amsterdam Arena did it Friday night. And it was beautiful. Cruyff might not have liked the idea of stopping the flow and momentum of a football game, but he deserved a unique farewell and he got it."

Three times European footballer of the year (1971, 1973, 1974)

1x IFFHS European Player of the Century, Johann Cruyff was the most gifted European player of his generation, and probably of all time.

He truly made the beautiful game, beautiful.

I have included a few of my favorites from El Flaco--feel free to share stories and favorite cards as well.