View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASEBALLCARDGURU View Post
As a newb I haven`t heard much about coin dealers taking the fun out of the hobby. I find this interesting.
Does anybody care to explain how and when coin dealers started to show their influence on the hobby of baseball cards?
I remember when I lived in Indiana, there was a coin dealer who also did baseball cards. I was in his shop looking at Topps Cubs cards and somebody came in with a collection of 67 topps. He was waiting on me and since this guy was apparently a buddy, he immediately went to talk to his friend vs finishing with me and also went on to talk coins with another customer. It was like all of the sudden I did not exist. While he was talking with the second customer with a coin deal, I struck up a conversation with the guy that brought in the 67 topps and found one of his cards I wanted. Ended up buying the card from the guy with the binder and bypassed the shop. Shop owner wasn't too happy but if you treat customers like dirt, then you lose out in my opinion. This was in the late 80's and with his business practices, doubt if his shop survived.

Last edited by kmac32; 02-07-2016 at 04:19 PM.