View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Precious memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
One last scan #74 Sam Baker one of the toughest cards in the set, and I think the most expensive? I picked up this card at last years National Convention in Chicago, the last card I've added to my set!
 photo ScannedImage141490002.jpg
Thoughts on this set anyone?
Larry,
Thanks for sharing your passion for the 1962 Post Cereal football set. I, too, love the set, though I completed mine 52 years ago.
We lived in a rural area outside Pensacola, Fla., and my Mom would drive to the Navy commissary every 2 weeks, then stop at a couple of civilian grocery stores on the way home to take advantage of whatever was on sale. I'd head straight to the cereal aisle looking for boxes that had players I needed. We ate a lot of cereal in those days -- my Dad liked to snack on cereal and, fortunately for me, would eat any flavor we brought home -- but it was still a challenge to find cards I needed as the promotion wore on. I can still see those cereal boxes with the product bulging out the back after I cut the cards off right away to keep them from getting creased or stained. We did the same drill with the baseball sets, but the football set was special because it included so many players not featured in the gum sets of the day.
Thanks for reviving some pleasant memories that remind me how much of my collection I owe to my mother's patience (she also stopped at convenience stores on the way home so I could check for the latest series of gum cards).
B.ob Ric.hard$on