View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 02:55 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Corey

Your last comment sparked an instant "flashback" in my mind to the Willow Grove Show (circa 1985). The scenario was....Bill Mastro shopping around his new-found T206 Wagner to
us dealers at the Show. I remember he wanted 30K for it (which was a lot $$$$$ for it back then). But upon my close observation, I don't recall if I passed on it because of the price,
or because of my suspicion that it appeared "trimmed".

It certainly was the Talk of the Show that weekend. Furthermore, a rumor was "floating" around that this Wagner was cut from a PIEDMONT sheet which included an Eddie Plank card.
The rumor regarding the Plank card eventually materialized when we found out that Charlie Conlon acquired this PIEDMONT Plank from Mastro.
And, it was eventually graded by PSA as an "A".

Nevertheless, a bunch of us dealers (including me) reflecting back to that weekend in the mid-1980's do have some regrets.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Ted,

I remember that show well. I also remember some people at the time speculating that the Wagner Mastro had was the oversized one (currently at the HOF) that was trimmed down to make it a Nr-Mt card.

Speaking of regrets, I certainly have some from that episode. Bob Sevchuck, the person who sold the cards to Mastro, first called me to tell me he had en route a Nr-Mt Wagner and would I be interested. I had just bought a '39 Playball set from Bob and at the time he and I did business together. I already by that time had acquired the Wagner I currently own, and between having to come up with another $25K (his price for the Wagner) coupled with my concern whether a Wagner in such condition might be a fake, I told Bob I needed some time to think about it. While I was taking that time, he sold the lot to Mastro.