View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
That was my first thought, like the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF, but that affected like 12 cards. If this was a regular thing, many more cards would have been affected in this set. I was thinking the fuzzy black line was due to a thinner paper depth from the top layer being torn off.
The NNOF was a bit of something making the black plate faulty across those several cards.

A solvent stain would usually only affect one sheet. Maybe 2-3 if it was really bad, but usually just one since the surfacing keeps the stuff from soaking through. The thinning would have affected all the colors the same way.

Here's a card printed on thinned stock. It's from a makeready sheet where the corner was torn off to mark where the test sheets ended and the good ones began. The borders and blue are the most visible, and in person you can see how they both just fade out. The blanket presses into depressions, but it can only go so far.
I saw the sheet the card was from intact at the dealers before it got cut into singles. Tried to buy the whole thing, but couldn't afford a wrongback sheet. Settled for the corner card with the torn off corner.

Steve B