View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

Bought this years ago....This is rich---I reckon an early owner of this "1931 Metropolitan Studios St. Louis Cardinals Premiums Dizzy Dean" created such a meticulous and artistic masterpiece merely by expertly coloring in various parts of what had been just a regular sepia-toned photo/card that the grading company didn't recognize it for what it was , just an ''Altered'' card , and I fully expected it to come back in a protective slab with the grade of "Authentic". Heck , I just wanted it holdered for protection. Instead , I imagine the Vintage section grading specs guys spent a lot of time poring over source books and references before throwing their hands up and just returning it to me with a harried scribbled note dripping with defeat. They kept the grading fee though.
.. I must admit it is really well-done , though. The kid was good.

..So I still have it , loose , in a large plastic Stor-Safe.

That is a great, great card in any event, Mike--wish it was part of my collection, as I eventually will be looking for one. For now, what I paid for my recent acquisition of a 1939 V351 Ted Williams got the wife upset enough that she insisted I finance the removal of wall paper and painting of a large portion of the house as her birthday present!

Highest regards,

Larry