Thread: Topps 3D
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Mike-- I am envious. How did you originally get it and where did it go. Have you ever had any of the unissued proofs ( Monday/Odanohue/Davis)I think the Robinson is viewed as a Prototype
yes, I would agree with this being a prototype. I got it at the '86 National from Brian Morris. He had that and an oversized Unitas 3-D prototype as well, I believe. I was lucky enough to set up at a lot of midwest shows so many of the dealers knew I collected Brooks Robinson. Brian was taking offers at the show and gave me "last offer", so on Sunday I went to see him and he said his highest offer was $525, and sold that to me for that.

Unfortunatly, in 1993 or so I sold off much of my collection including my Brooks Robinson collection, which had very few holes. I put the card in an Al Rosen auction for $2000 and it got zero bids! A bit later I was contacted by a collector who I think was a lawyer from Philly about the card. I think he said he was "hoarding" the 68 3D's as well as some more recent test issues including the '89 Topps Heads-Ups & Yankees/Mets Doubleheaders. We agreed on a price of $2800 and he got it from me at the '93 National in Chicago.

One other rare card I should have owned was the Brooks Robinson '61 Dice Game. A still well-known auction/dealer offered me that in 1983 for $325 and agreed to give me 2 days to get the money together (I was 16) since I bought several other items from him. I called him the next morning and he had sold it. I never saw another until the recent one in a Huggins-Scott auction.

I never had any other of the proofs you mentioned, as I got the Brooksie because of him, not the issue. The only Topps proofs I've owned was the 81 Dodgers Rookies with the pics in the wrong places, the Dave Kingman Coke (Proof or Sample for Coke?), and a 1977 Manny Trillo with Cubs in purple (the rest of the panel of 8 was "proofs" without the signatures). The 1st 2 I got in trade from Craig Williamson for some 1981-83 Fleer proof sheets. I was lucky enough to have a "find" of 100+ Fleer proof sheets that were loaded with unissued "variations" as well as some unissued players. In the 80's I was fascinated with proofs and my learning paid off!