View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
It looks like a Red-Tailed Hawk.
I live in New York City, but I do have visitors who like to peek in my window.
Picture taken late Winter/early Spring, through my Living Room window.

Thanks!

What I was thinking as well but being mostly white, I wasn't sure?

Great pic of the one outside your window!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
We have Red Tailed Hawks here also. A few yeas ago I was out playing a round of golf by myself. I sat down on the bench at hole 6 to take a smoke break and watch the gophers play near the back of the tee box. Then all of a sudden they took off for their holes and a hawk grabbed one just as it went into a hole. I just sat and watched from about 10 yards as the hawk struggled for about 5 minutes before it got the gopher pulled out of the hole. I thought it was very cool to watch.
With that owl hanging around, I am now more than paranoid to let my cat out in the morning!

Great Horned Owls love skunks I read, but they will also take down raccoons and porcupines so my cat would be no trouble for it.
I am usually up and out around 5:30am but I won't let my cat outside until I have my coffee in hand. I make some coughing noise, shuffle the lawn chair around etc when I do go out in hopes, if he is still hanging around, he will buzz off!
They mostly hunt around midnight so that is reassuring, but I think if they are hungry enough, they will hunt until they are fed.

I haven't seen it since and I did see another skunk the other morning, so hopefully he has flown the coop?!?!