View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Condition is a topic that's very near and dear to my heart. I've learned that it differs for many collectors, and that I'm pickier than most. But here is how I see it...

Acceptable/Expected:
* Pin or small nail holes (but not right up against a border)
* Puckering and/or slight cracking to the painted graphics
* Very minor surface soiling or fading
* One tassel (but not both) missing from either the top or bottom
* Loose stitching to spine, at very top or bottom
* Blunt (but not torn) Tip... many were simply made that way

Not Acceptable:
* Rips or Tears anywhere on the pennant (especially those that emanate from any border).
* Holes 1/4" diameter or larger
* Any holes close enough to a border that they're in danger of tearing through to the edge
* Ink writing anywhere on front of pennant (reverse side is ok, as long as it doesn't show through)
* Any alteration... especially when someone tried to re-create a pointed tip.
* Significant surface soiling/toning/fading
* Both tassels missing from either the top or the bottom

I can make exceptions for exceedingly rare pennants or oversized pennants from the teens. But otherwise, those are my guidelines. Eager to hear from others!
I agree for the most part. Tassels to me, however, are no big deal. If I see I pennant I want, I can't remember ever thinking "if only it had tassels". It just doesn't bother me...in fact, I've removed the tassels from pennants that had some missing or had badly mangled ones.

Writing or the recreation of a pointy tip are deal breakers. I bought a rare early 70's Giants (football) pennant a couple months back that looked fine in the pictures. But when I held it in my hand, it was obvious the tip was shave into a false point. I got it for a great price and now I knew why. I guess the seller thought the price told the story, so he didn't have to. There was no mention of it in the listing.

I've noticed puckering on a few of my pennants (typically 1960's pennants) and wondered what caused that. It's usually near the spine, so thought maybe a production error? Or maybe the pennant was washed in someway and shrunk? What's the explanation on that?