Thread: GOAT of GOATs?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 AM
Bill Gregory

Do you happen to recall when he was asked that, Peter? I watched a two hour-long Gretzky documentary called Ultimate Gretzky (2003) about a month ago, and was surprised to learn just how close Gordie Howe and The Great One really were. I knew that Gretzky had played against Howe when Gordie was on the Whalers in the WHA during the '79-'79 season, but didn't know the extent of their relationship.

I only ask because I wonder if Gordie Howe didn't want to appear to be showing favoritism to Gretzky.

Either way, you couldn't go wrong. Gretzky was undersized for a forward, and wasn't the fastest guy in the NHL, either. But he had maybe the greatest hockey instincts that the game has ever seen. The documentary talks about how Gretzky had the kind of brain the World Champ chess players have. Most real good NHL players can see a move ahead. Gretzky could see two or three. He just instinctively knew where the puck, his teammates and the defenders were going to be two or three passes ahead of time.

The great ones just process information differently. Gretzky had a ridiculous work ethic that would have made him a star, but that hockey IQ took his talents to a ridiculous level. Ted Williams was the same way as a hitter.

I had to pick up this McFarlane after watching it. It sits on my book shelves now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not that it adds much to the eternal Gretzky v Orr debate, but I once heard Gordie Howe interviewed and he was asked if he could pick one of them to start a team, which would it be. He said Orr.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.