Thread: .
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default clarification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimozukawa View Post
Does anyone collect these? I was wondering because I saw a pretty cool one of my high school with a 1914 Schofield Barracks postmark. It got me thinking... are postcards worth less with cancelled stamps (from the stamp theory of philatelic value) or are they worth more since the cancellation mark (theoretically) would be an extra level of confidence in dating the issue?

I was initially planning to post this to the NS forum, but it really looks like they have three people posting there...

Many folks like the cancellations, as I do. As you said it gives more confidence and exact dating. Personally, I think it's crazy to downgrade a postcard due to it being mailed/canceled. SGC now gives notations to many true mfg marks on cards and doesn't downgrade them for it. Some day the postcards will catch up and not be downgraded too. In my opinion they should be graded like any other card and have a notation of uncanceled or canceled...

As far as collecting postcards in general? That is a very, very old and mature hobby. I go to a small local postcard show a few times a year. I am 49 yrs old and am usually one of the youngest, if not THE youngest, in the room.