View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 04:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
A year and a half ago I was trying to complete a 1972 Topps set. I gave up online and picked them up at shows. The two I could not land were the Murcer- which I was losing at $30+ and the Tim Foli IA which I would quit at $20. I’m not sure what was going on at the time but those two were going for crazy money. I think I picked up both at a show under $20.
As a 1972 set aficionado, I can certainly offer some insight into the high cost of the Tim Foli IA card. It is nearly impossible to find one nicely centered, without a tilt, etc., so graded versions of it (say PSA 8 or 9) with decent centering have extremely high asking prices as compared to other lowly commons. So ebay sellers probably see the sold prices and put a premium on their cards, even though the ones they are listing are way O/C and don't share the same characteristics as the ones sold. Murcer is somewhat similar (although he was also a high numbered star in New York at a time when the Yanks had virtually nothing) in that his card is very 'tilt-centric.' Finding a centered, straight one is tough. Even a quick look at many PSA 9's shows a defined tilt to the card. If you only see what #699's sold for and don't assess the specific attributes of said cards, you come to the conclusion that the card itself is 'rare' and your asking price takes an elevator upstairs.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.