View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default The end results of hoarding

This could really go in any era's board. There are numerous cards that are publicly known to have been hoarded, like:

T206 Doyle's
Obak Miller's
1952 Topps Bartirome (the funniest by far)
1961 Topps Hal Smith
1964 Topps Curt Flood

Hoarding a card seems to spike the value of it as set collectors and/or opportunists scramble. I don't think this is really supply/demand so much as it is a perception of supply/demand. There are some cards I hoard and I own a large percentage of without causing any change in price, because nobody knows it is hoarded. There's apparently enough still out there that the price hasn't risen naturally.

It seems to me that outing a hoard hurts the hoarder over the long haul - it brings in more cards in the short term but escalates the price to such an extent than it can't be better over the long haul than being patient and waiting for cards to come up and quietly snapping them up.

I'm mostly curious about hoards that have stopped, and their end results. 1952 Topps Bartirome's are an expensive card still, even if the value has fallen from the peak. I believe this hoard is dead, but the prices remain elevated. the 1964 Curt Flood hoard is, I believe, also dead but it's price has returned to only a little above normal. Has any significantly hoarded card ever had those cards return back to the general hobby after the hoarder gives up or passes away, to balance values out? Has publicly hoarding and offering above market ever performed better than silent patience would have?