View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Jamie, as we grew up in the Old Town/Orono area of Maine my brother Rhys & I are both big fans of his. I still remember being in 6th grade and first learning about him while living in Old Town, Maine.

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there. The holy grail of Sockalexis items is his 1898 Cameo Pepsin pinback while he was with the Cleveland "Indians". Around 1912 a local postcard producer made postcards of Sockalexis (last name was Orr -- a pretty prominent last name in the Bangor area) that are seldom seen. They picture an aged Sockalexis in his Cleveland uniform.

Other than that there isn't much in the way of "mass-produced" items to collect. My brother Rhys was fortunate enough to aquire an extremely large (Imperial Cabinet sized) photo of the Holy Cross baseball team with him in it. It should also be noted also playing for that team were Doc Powers and Jack Pappalau--both would play in the major leagues. The Coach of the team was no other than Hall of Famer Jesse Burkett (a Worchester native--I'm sure you are already aware of that though.) This large photo was from the estate of one of the players on the team, and it is likely it was only produced for the actual memebers of the team

Anyways, hope this helps and feel free to email me privately if you need any further information.

-Rhett
rhettyeakley@netzero.com