View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Jamie

Tim,

Yeah, I am/was so passionate about Sock. I have heard of Cappy Gagnon, second-hand, through a fellow who wrote a book (fiction) that was modeled after the life of Sockalexis. I believe it was the first book ever written on Sock - now it seems like there are two more!

Well, it's shameful, but I forget his name. About eight years ago, we met up in Chelsea, MA, where he lives, and had lunch. Turned out we went to the same high school down in NJ! Maybe "Luke" something or other...

But yeah, Sock got thrown out of Holy Cross and then I believe followed Doc out to Notre Dame. Interestingly, the name "Sockalexis" is a actually corruption of the french name "Jacques-Alexis". I suppose Gagnon went to Notre Dame and that is how he studied him, but I wonder if Cappy is Quebecois as I have a personal friend named Gagnon with the same last same up in Sherbrooke.

Another guy from Worcester history would be John Lee Richmond, who pitched the first perfect game. What a story! Well, I doubt there is much left from him, though one never knows. If I ever found anything, I'd probably wind up donating it to the museum.

Cheers,

Jamie