View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default Jesse Owens cards

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

I collect overseas pre-war tobacco cards and have several jesse owens cards as part of sets.

Different German tobacco card companies issued olympic sets in the mid-30's....the sets are fairly common (especially in Germany!). Many of the sets will be found in books issued to hold the cards and people glued them in the books. Complete books look really nice and usually can be found on ebay from $25-$50....(you'll find many that don't sell due to starting bids of $30-$40 with $15-$20 shipping).

Individual cards are sold sometimes on ebay but I don't really follow those - I've seen them anywhere from a couple of bucks to 20's depending on the card...maybe some have sold for more...but as I said I really don't follow those auctions.

I've seen more and more overseas cards in PSA holders advertised as "best graded" or "1 of 1"...for 100-200X what I've paid for the same card (or in some cases what I paid for the set).....haven't seen any actually sell but again I don't pay a lot of attention to them. Since I really only buy complete sets I don't have any idea of how much the individual card sells for in the states.

Overall there is some interest in Jesse Owens but not a great interest IMO.

Hope that helped a little.