View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 06:34 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default Negro League and Brooklyn Bushwicks Autograph Album

I originally posted this autograph book a few years ago. Since I don't collect signatures, I would like to sell this album to someone who appreciated the obscure signatures within. I'm not sure whether I should split the book up or keep together. In this thread I photographed each page and wrote a short bio of each player. I look forward to your opinions...

This was a great little autograph book I picked up because it had a bunch of Brooklyn Bushwicks players in it. I was always fascinated by the vibrant and competitive semi-pro leagues that operated in the Metropolitan area before World War II and pick up whatever pieces of memorabilia I can. Since I am a baseball illustrator, I specifically grabbed this up because it included a newspaper photo of one of their players, showing the cap, which I will use for a drawing down the road. Bushwick players’ pictures are hard to find. When it arrived, it had much more in it than I expected. The album belonged to a Brooklyn girl named Marilyn who carried it to games at Dexter Park in the summer of 1944. Marilyn must have been a big baseball fan since her book notes the players positions and uniform numbers. Most of the players that are represented on its pages are life-long New York City semi-pros, some of whom had a short stint in the big leagues.

Last edited by jerseygary; 06-07-2018 at 05:24 PM.