View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Sam Lemoine

Best - Jose Canseco. I was at an A's game in 1990. Jose was the biggest star in baseball, and after the game there were about 100 of us lined up at a fence near player parking, with another hundred or so at another fence nearby. One by one, the A's players ignored us. Last guy out is Jose accompanied by his wife Esther. He comes to the fence and starts signing. Midway through he asks Esther to go to the other fence to let them know he will be over shortly. He signed for every one of us, then walked over to the other fence for everyone else.

Also best - Bob Feller and Lou Burdette. It is the Summer of 1988 and there is a major convention in Arlington Texas. I live there and I am broke. I can't believe Mantle and Mays are in a building blocks from me and I can't even afford entrance. My wife and I go to the mall to kill some time. In the center, I see a giant baseball and 2 older guys sitting. As I get closer, I see it is Bob Feller and Lou Burdette. Nobody is near them. I go up and we talk for about a half hour. I go to Woolworths and buy a pack of index cards and a baseball and they sign multiple things for free. Bob Feller takes my 2 year old daughter and rocks her to sleep while singing her lullabies. Better than the convention any day!

Worst - Bo Jackson. Spring training, 1987 with the Royals. George Brett was signing for everyone. So was Frank White, Jorge Orta, and more. Bo comes out and kids flock to him. He drops a few F bombs and tells the kids to get lost. I couldn't believe it.

Honorable mentions - Had very positive experiences with Dale Murphy, Willie Stargell, Billy Kilmer, Lou Brock, and Lester Hayes.