View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Jim Shuttleworth

I was never an autograph person. I lived near Sparky Lyle's parents as a kid in the late 70s to early 80s. He was always friendly with us when he was around.

Rickey Henderson was my favorite non-Pirate growing up. I finally got to meet him in the mid-late 90s before a game at Three Rivers. A friend got us press passes. He told me I had to be professional. I met Rickey on the field before the game. He blew me off on his way out to the outfield to warm up. Flash forward a few years. I was sitting with a few friends at a strip club in Pittsburgh when Rickey walked in by himself. As he walked by, I yelled, "Hey Rickey." He came over an hung out for a few minutes and chatted. It was great.

I used to hit the same place every morning for breakfast on the North Side of Pittsburgh. One morning I walked in to find Franco Harris was in my seat surrounded by some guys in suits. I decided it was best to leave him alone and sit elsewhere. I used to leave flowers at his house on the North Ave every December 23rd. Never saw him there.