View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Babe Ruth Baltimore News card

Posted By: warshawlaw

If lots of collectors like the minor league card best, it will sell for more, rookie or whatever notwithstanding. Personally, I've never cared much whether a card is a player's rookie. I prefer vintage pre-rookies to most any rookie of a HOFer and often I prefer a final card to the rookie card (esp. if there are stats on it). I suppose the same is true of the folks who bought the 1914 Ruth. I'd rather have my Zeenut or PCL Exhibit Averill than any ML card of Averill and I know I would enjoy a 1969 Mantle more than a 1951 Mantle, values notwithstanding. In other cases, there are other considerations. I personally would rather have a Buck Weaver with the Sox than the Obak Weaver, even if the Obak predates and costs more than the Sox Weaver (in fact, I opted for an M101-5 Weaver over the Obak when I was shopping for a Weaver card). Ditto for the Jackson: give me the M101-5 over the E90-1 any day. There is something about having a player depicted with the team where his impact was most powerful.