View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Agreed. It keeps things interesting to dabble in a little of everything. HOF rookies give a great mix of everything. For a while there it seemed I was strictly pre-war, because I had most modern RCs already. The minor league rookies seemed to have drug me back to modern, and somehow led me to get busy again on my Bo Jackson collection, that I haven't touched in 20+years... Collecting Bo seems to bring back so many memories of why I truly loved the hobby as a kid...I imagine Jason is getting a similar joy from his Harper collection.. Sometimes it just takes something shiny and new to make you feel like a kid again.. Hopefully Bryce's future turns out better than Bo's did.. Although, it's amazing how a guy can go from Legend, to nearly forgotten, then all of the sudden 20 years later dude's Legendary status returns... Bo items seem to have picked up a lot of steam in the past few years..
David, couldn't have said it better myself. When I started collecting prewar three years ago, it didn't take me long to get totally hooked. Before 2011, it was all modern for me without a drop of thought about prewar...but once I changed, I still did not give up on post war cards...just slowed down. I collect a plethora of modern players, HOF RC's and just individual players...and a lot of them are from my childhood, like you said...they connect us to them as we grew up watching them.

One of the players I collect is Griffey Jr. He started in the league when I was 10 yrs old and he was one of the best from that point on. So many memories of going to the card shop with my cousin, seeing and buying '80's and '90's cards...great memories for sure. I go after the Griffey's that I used to love when I collected back then...they spark a lot of great memories for me, not to mention some of those cards I could never afford! So it is somewhat surreal (in a way) to obtain some cards that I could only gaze at when I was a kid. The great thing is that most of them cost at or under the $10 range and that's in Gem Mint condition

Bo Jackson was a beast and he IS a legend IMO...one of my pure favorites from year's back. There only has to be one reason to collect what anyone chooses to and the rest is history. But I do believe one game cements how great Bo Jackson was....TECMO BOWL

Collect what you like!!! There are so many reasons to do so
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48