View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Christopher Herman

For those of you who are following this, in the name of full discolsure and further insight, here are my PM exchanges with "ChaseSeiberlich".

As you will read, I tried to politely end the transaction several times and against my own better judgement I continued. I took his words at face value and in the interest of a potential "teaching moment" for a young kid/collector, I unwisely proceeded. I continue to value my membership on this board greatly and look forward to seeing my fellow NET54ers in Baltimore at the National.
-Christopher.

---Quote (Originally by ChaseSeiberlich)---
Has the chase card been sold? If not I am very interested

---Quote (Originally by christopher.herman)---
It's yours if you want it $63 + $3 shipping = $66
--Chris

Sold, I'm only 14 so I don't have a credit card and I can't use my parents, should I sent you the money in the mail?

Welcome to the board. Great to see young collectors here. Just a few suggestions
if you are going to be buying here. It's not the greatest idea to send cash
through the mail and I'm not very comfortable with that plan given your age. A
postal money order is a lot safer for you and the seller. Maybe your parents
could write a check also. If you have a bank account and get your parents'
approval, you may want to open a Paypal account which is the safest way because
you can dispute the purchase if you are dissatisfied. The B/S/T sellers here are
very honest but better safe than sorry. You will also need Paypal if you plan on
buying on ebay as well.
Let me know what you want to do.
Chris.

Thanks, but my parents don't like the idea of me collecting cards so they won't
do anything to help me. If you don't want me to send it thru the mail then I
don't think I can do it. Sorry.
Thanks, chase

No worries. Maybe you could try to educate them on the hobby and show them the seriousness of this site. Perhaps they will find it as fun and rewarding as you do and you could start collecting together. Especially the T206s which are addictive and, in my opinion historically important. I'd be happy to serve as a reference on this board if they wanted to contact me regarding the hobby. Another suggestion would be to introduce yourself on the main page and explain your situation to the members here. I'm sure that they would love to hear from a young collector and you would get great advice on how to proceed. Until then, I have to decline your offer out of respect for your parents. Good luck.

I don't understand why

Because you are 14 and sending a relatively significant amount of cash through the mail to a stranger against your parents' wishes. Out of respect to them and in the name of ethics I cannot be part of such a transaction. I don't know if I can be clearer on this. Like I said, perhaps you might want to post your situation on the main board and see what type of responses you get. Feel free to post this conversation. If the board moderator, Leon, and the other members disagree with my decision not to sell you the card I will send you the T206 Chase for free.
--C.

Greetings Christopher,
This is Chase's Dad, Tom. Chase was going to great lengths last night about me
communicating with you about purchasing the 'Hal Chase' card. It seems as though
he really wants to buy it so i decided that it would be good for him to have a
hobby. How much would it be for him to buy the card?

Thanks,
Tom

At this point I contacted Leon and forwarded him these PM’s so that he could do his usual due diligence, which he did. Thanks again, Leon.

Can I have u call my parents?

Chase,
That is not necessary. As long as you are able to post on the B/S/T forum I
assume that you have been cleared by Leon and your parents. I'd like to give you a break on the T206 Hal Chase. I will let you have it for $50 to welcome you to the board. How would you like to pay?
Chris.

Thank you for understanding. Mail cash payment?

Thats not really a safe plan for you now or in the future. If you plan to buy
more here you should use a postal money order. They only cost $1.15 and you and the seller are protected.

How do i doa postal money order?

At the local post office. This way if the payment gets lost in the mail or the
seller claims that he never got it you will have a receipt and can get your
money back if it is never cashed and you can check if it is cashed by the seller also. Like I said, everyone that I have dealt with here has been honest and trustworthy but a $1.15 is a small amount to pay for insurance and to protect your money.

I will make sure to Do that I'm the future. Thank you for the tip. But for this
one could I just do a mail payment? It would be much less of a hassle

I cannot. Good luck with your collection.
Christopher

How about if I send a check? If it gets lost then I wont lose any money

A check is fine.
$50 is our deal which is well below market value for this card. I am happy to
get you started on your collection and I'm glad we worked out a deal. Do you know much about Hal Chase? If not, look him up. He is perhaps one of the most interesting, talented and ultimately forgotten players of all time.
Please mail the check to:
Christopher B@rtell
XX-XX XXth Place
XXXXXXX, NY XXXXX

Yeah he was a great player. Very underrated because of all the great players he played with and against

My parents agreed to write out a check for me. Im currently at a National
baseball tournament that my team is in, but when i get home tomorrow i will send you the check.

No problem. I’ve already marked the card as sold. Good luck at your tournament.

I'm sorry for the hassle, but I have decided that keeping my money is the best option. I'm really sorry

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards

Last edited by christopher.herman; 07-19-2012 at 10:36 AM.