View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Jordan Gluck

As probably the youngest person on net 54 (Im a 19yr old college sophomore) I think the industry is bright and does have a bright future but is held back among the younger generations for various reasons.
1. The Internet has killed many neighborhood style shops.
2. The economy still hasn't caught up to pre 2007 levels and that can really hold people back.
3. This might be the biggest reason of them all and that is the emergence of Football as the #1 sport and the allure of stars in basketball (I despise basketball). For example I have a close friend and for christmas he received a tom brady and peyton manning signed football while in past generations that would have most likely been a baseball related item.

As you grow older I think more and more of our generation will appreciate baseball and become attached to this hobby. Please don't forget how expensive college is and the loans young people have to take on today and if you go into grad or medical school then those bills become even greater. If lets say I try to become a doctor in a certain field it could take me up to age 28 to finish school and then I would have to repay loans which takes a while.

My last point is I think NFL Films under Ed and Steve Sabol has done a much better job than MLBs branch.

In the end collecting is not dying and I think will continue to grow into greater and greener pastures but give the younger generations time.