View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 02:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Jesse- I recently purchased a book off Amazon entitled, ' The Immaculate Inning' - sub-titled, 'Unassisted Triple Plays, 40/40 Seasons, and the Stories Behind Baseball's Rarest Feats' by Joe Cox.

Chapter 2 of the book is 'Pitching An Immaculate Inning'. It has been done 89 times (91 with Gausman and Scherzer's efforts this season.)

It also includes a chapter on the 'Super Slam' - Jason Heyward almost hit one yesterday.

The "Super Slam' is described as being hit in the bottom of the ninth, with two outs and down by three runs with the bases loaded.

Yesterday, the Cubbies were only down two runs...but it was with two strikes, so I think it's pretty darn close to Super.

The Super Slam has been accomplished 28 times, most recently by Rajai Davis of the Tigers on June 30, 2014.
I've never heard the term super slam before, but that makes sense. I'm actually surprised it's been done that many times. But that was always the scenario in my head when playing baseball with friends as a kid.