View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There's a story, who knows if it's true, about Orr. He was 14 maybe even younger I think and Boston sends someone to scout him. The scout comes back, and tells management, he could play in the NHL. Management is exasperated, tells the scout we already knew that, give us some useful information. The scout replies, you don't understand, I mean right now.
LOL, very well could be true as Orr was that good.

At 14, Bobby Orr came to Oshawa and likely this is when my Father/us seen him?

My Dad remembers Orr playing road hockey out in front of our place here in Oshawa when I was just a wee lad. Unfortunately, my Father never got an autograph but being in the Bruins farm city at the time, seeing great upcoming players, wasn't that unusual.
http://oshawagenerals.com/bobby-orr

The hockey world will forever remember him as No. 4, but when the remarkable career of Robert Gordon “Bobby” Orr began, it the Parry Sound native wore No. 2 for the Oshawa Generals.

Orr first came to Oshawa as a 14-year-old phenom for the 1962-63 season and starred with the Generals for four years, helping the Generals capture the OHL Championship in 1966.

His explosive offensive style made him and instant sensation in Oshawa and he went on to a glorious National Hockey League career with the Boston Bruins, becoming one of the greatest defensemen in hockey history. In four seasons as a General, he complied 278 points in 194 games while playing most of that time against players several years older.

The only defenseman in NHL history to win the Art Ross Trophy as scoring champion (he did it twice), Orr won eight consecutive Norris Trophies as the NHL’s best defenseman and amassed 915 points in just 657 NHL regular season games. He still holds the NHL records for most points by a defenseman in a season (139), most assists by a defenseman (102) and best plus/minus of any position player (+124).

He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1979 after the mandatory three-year wait period was waved, and become the youngest player ever inducted at the age of 31. Despite numerous knee injuries, he is still considered the greatest defenseman in NHL history and was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1979.

On November 27, 2008, in front of an over-flow crowd of 6,253 fans, the always humble Orr finally agreed to allow Oshawa hockey fanes to pay tribute to a player that changed the game forever, and will certainly never be forgotten.