View Single Post
Old 08-06-2002, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Default authentic grade, new look

Posted By: Dr.Koos

CGC denotes not only that the book IS altered, but WHAT THE ALTERATION WAS, and how severely it was done. The restorative procedures themself is what dictates the book's value. For example:
Amazing Spiderman 1 Unrestored VF+ CGC 8.5 ...$10,000 base price (ease of comparison).
Graded restored VF+ CGC 8.5 but with only a light cleaning and pressing... $6000
Graded the same but with spine reinforced and light color touch (SLIGHT) .....$4000
The same as above BUT MODERATE work (more than slight)....$2800
Same as above but EXTENSIVE work...$1500
Now there are MANY different possibilities, permutations and procedures that can be done and recognized by CGC and they usually are notated on the CGC restored label as Trimming, color touch, pieces replaced, staples replaced, married interior pages (pages replaced), tape removed, etc. etc. and three different levels: slight, Moderate, and Extensive, done by either Professional or Amateur restorers are also noted all giving a VF+ 8.5 Spiderman 1, and endless possibility of value based on it's specific finding. I just listed a few of the possibilities. Restored collectibles have been around for years, well before it was unfasionable to do so. I remember as a child, buying "space fillers" for my stamp collection. Spending $10 against $100 for those ultra expensive $1.00, $2.00, and $5.00 19th century issues. This was usually a stamp that had been torn when unhinged, or trimmed from a sheet and re-perforated. It looked a hell of a lot better than a space that would have been empty for a long long time.