View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Default Orange vs Red 68 Variations

Vorzverti,

You bring up a great question about the possible difference in the front of the cards. Your two Ryan MBs sure look different.

If you look at my two, one is orange looking and the other is red. I looked at my Ryans and I don't see a pattern.

A better test was the 155/156 World Series cards. I had exactly 6 regular WS 5 and 6 cards each to compare with 28 and 25 MB cards respectively. I think that's a good sample size. I don't see a difference in the cards. Some look like red and some like orange.

I did a decent look at cards 7,8,10 (leader cards with red/orange tops) and the lettering for the Indians Rookies/Tigers Rookies, both Marichal check list cards, and Dodgers/Yankees cards which have red circles. Didn't see a difference. It would be nice if picking out MBs were that easy.

Al Richter has a great picture of the 68 Billingham rookie card regular Topps issue which has the orange and red variations. There are a few rookie cards like that in the regular 68 set, and amongst variation guys I think there is a bit of divided opinion. It really is hard to distinguish. I feel the same about the 1964 Topps Leaders Cards, red vs orange "variations".

The only difference I have seen on the MB vs regular fronts so far (other than cards with borders) is that the cards with bluer backgrounds like Jim Merritt, Don Wilson, and Ron Willis are more intense and darker hues than the regular cards. I have 46 Merritt MB cards and 14 regular Merritts. In general the MBs are bluer but at the end of the spectrum some of the lighter blue background MBs are lighter toned than the darker regular cards. It does get to the backs of the cards with this issue. I quit trying to guess on the fronts after wasting quite a few dollars on ebay buying what I thought was an MB and I finally figured out I just couldn't tell. I wouldn't gamble on a Ryan with those prices, to be sure.

But then my eyes are quite middle aged.