View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Graig Kreindler

It's interesting to note the change of the background for the Colliers cover. I'm pretty sure that ballpark facade is from the Polo Grounds pre-1909. However, your photo shows Exposition Park in Pittsburgh. The final game played there by the Pirates was in June of 1909 (Forbes was opened by the end of the month).

For the record, according to Okkonen and his uniform research, the Pirates had the interlocking PBC on their sleeves in 1908 and 1909, so I would imagine it's from one of those two years.

So yeah, don't know if it helps much, but the image can most likely be dated to before July of 1909.

For the record, Getty actually has the image as it appears on the Colliers cover:

Interestingly enough, they date it to 1905 and list the catcher as Bresnahan. If that is indeed true, then it would be from '08, as Roger was a Cardinal by 1909. During the '08 season, the Giants played at Exposition during three different swings, one in mid-May, one in mid-July and finally one in late August.

If you'd like, I can check the archives of the NYTimes to see if I can get any info on when the play happened (according to the Getty description, Honus was called out). Luckily there wouldn't be a crap-ton of games to look through. That is, if it's really from 1908.

Graig