View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Wishing you the very, very best, Tim, in your pursuit of a genuine post-war beast of a set.

Take your time, and while it's good to be choosy, please know that it will be very troublesome to find full border all around the card. That was a major point I focused on in my chapter on those gorgeous 1962 JELL-Os. I've really grown fond of them over the years, without actually collecting them. It was a major confirmation to me in 2015-16 when the late Bob Lemke dug out an article from a spring 1962 issue of THE SPORTING NEWS on what was going on with General Foods' baseball card promotions. He posted the article in his blog. One little sentence was the large gold nugget to me----that recently General Foods had begun test-marketing their 1962 baseball card set on the backs of their JELL-O boxes in the Chicagoland area.

Previously, the Beckett 3 BB card guide (1981) said most collectors considered the '62 issue a test issue. When I interviewed the late Larry Fritsch for my book on September 18, 2003, he confirmed to me the 1962 JELL-Os were a test issue. Then, finally, dear Bob Lemke also nailed it with his find from that SPORTING NEWS article! The 1963 release was indeed nationwide; not so 1962!

Lest I forget, welcome to the Net54baseball family!

Have a swell weekend, my fellow collecting warrior! ---Brian Powell