View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Barry Arnold

Default frank

I note your inquiry regarding an existentialist affirming that zero should probably be dropped as a qualifying set. I'm sure you well know that the existentialist ideology is far from a monolithic perspective so there is really no univocal response to this issue. A Sartrean nihilist might well direct us that zero is as qualifying as any other since the true qualifier is what meaning occurs as being for itself in terms of intentionality rather than from being in itself in stasis. A Heideggerean might well say that zero should be dropped because meaning must arrive epiphenomenally and since there is no true phenomenon
with respect to zero other than our composition of an external linguistic verifier, then zero is dropped by its very nature. A Kierkegaardean existentialist would be open to zero's deserving qualifying status since meaning often arises out of nothing, en vacuo, and deserves status for its
inherent creative impulses. I hope this is helpful to you, Frank.
Many thanks for this extra facet to your T206 question---which although an aside---was quite
ingenious of you.
all the best,
barry