View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
bubblebathgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
But that is just your opinion that it is safer to buy premium cards on eBay. A lot of people view eBay as being far less safe than an auction house because the number of people looking to rip you off or scam you on eBay is seemingly neverending. If I was looking to buy a $20,000 card like the Nolan Ryan card you listed or even a $5,000 card like the Robin Yount example you listed, I wouldn't feel comfortable at all buying off eBay.

I still don't get how it is harder for shills to inflate the price of a card on eBay if someone really wants to do that. Like I said earlier, the only shills you are going to "catch" are either the really stupid or the really lazy.

Eddie, it's not just my opinion, it's a fact.

AHs have blind bidding with NO buyer protection. You can get bid up and you'd have no idea ... you can have an item delivered not as described (or not at all) and you have no recourse. Whereas on ebay you have buyer (and seller) protection.

Of course someone can try and inflate a price on ebay, but at least there are systems there that give you a chance in tracking down what's going on ... with AHs you have none such ability ... you are simply helpless.

It's just easier to shill via AHs than it is on ebay. If you don't mind taking that chance that's your prerogative, but there are countless examples of premium cards taking hits on ebay that were bought via AH. I myself have picked up some items in such a way.

Ultimately it's just common sense, information is power and with AHs you have none of it.