View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One thing I've noticed that certainly causes me to place small incremental bids is the eBay app. When I am on my phone and decide to bid, the small incremental bid is a single screen touch to repeat and I often find myself making several bids that would look like shill bids if the bid increment and frequency were the tests.

I think the focus has to be on unusual outcomes in eBay auctions that are spurred by bidders with low feedback and/or lots of bid retractions. I tend to be suspicious when an auction on a common card gets a flood of bids from those two types of bidders. I'll give you an example. I am currently watching a PSA 9 Evander Holyfield RC (item #351764801461) in a PWCC auction. Not picking on you, Brent, you just happen to have one going. One sold on June 11 for $241.50. Another sold on June 26 for $40.98. The VCP average reported price for the card over the last four years is $141.24 over about a dozen sales. PWCC's is at $62 and ends tomorrow. The bidding has been driven by a bidder with seven retractions in the last six months. That screams shill bidding to me, especially when a comparable card (a modern 9; really an interchangeable card) barely brought $40 three days ago.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-29-2016 at 10:01 AM.