Thread: Why Autographs?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 PM

Autographs are simple, they're small, they can last a couple hundred years, each one is unique, they can be beautiful, and every one represents a single moment in the signer's life. It truly is captured history, and each one is personal, by it being an autograph.

My mom was pregnant with my youngest sister in the spring of 1971, and her OB/GYN appointments were in sync with those of Marty Pattin's wife.

I was 8, and she returned from a doctor appointment with a McCarthy postcard signed to me from Marty Pattin, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

When I went to those early Brewers games, there were 6000-25000 people in the stands and I was sure I was one of the only ones whose mom knew Marty Pattin's wife!

So now I'm 50, and am reminiscing about something that happened when I was 8. It was a powerful enough event for me, and I think part of it for me is to recapture some of that, or when I buy vintage pieces, to recognize how much of a big deal it probably was to the collector in his day.

Amateur psychology aside, a beautiful signature, matted with a fine photograph of the signer looks tremendous on the wall.