View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
It's no more a forgery than any other type of commemorative item with an imprinted signature such as photos, prints, bats, team balls, etc.

I'm puzzled why people get themselves in such a tizzy about these. Not everyone can afford things like Tiffany Lamps, Ming Vases, granite countertops, Gibson Les Paul guitars and signed Ruth balls. So replicas or products that appear very similar are produced. The replicas should fool no one who is exercising a minimal amount of due diligence.
Thanks Steve I see what you are saying, but let me give you another scenario. I am an auction house selling forgeries my fake Babe Ruth balls are getting hard to sell because folks are catching on. I toss the COA's in the garbage because they would be banned from Ebay and then list them on Ebay as replicas. I think a good deal of these forgeries are being passed on to crooked dealers anyways so what would it matter if they are called a replica. I would feel better if they were marked in some way on the ball as replicas. I myself would never buy a Babe Ruth ball without hours of research and seeking out qualified opinions, but that is not so for everyone. Let me reiterate Steve that I do respect your opinion on this.
Always accepting quality consignments