View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetson_1883 View Post
After collecting contemporary cards of the then 90's during my childhood, I sold everything off, waited about 20 years and have dove back into cards, only this time collecting quality graded, HOF rookies from the pre and post war era, up until the 1970's. I felt as though this was the best way to go if I wanted to try to view this hobby of mine as an "investment".

I have two questions for you old-time collectors out there....

1. Could you provide an overview of how the values of vintage baseball cards (from the eras mentioned above) have changed/shifted during the last 20 years?

I seem to remember vintage cards being worth a lot more in the 90's than they are today. Or have these cards remained relatively stable?

2. Can you expect any sort of price appreciation over the years with these cards? Ive checked out that Card Target website which goes back around 7 years, and I see relatively small increases in card prices. Throw in inflation, and cards seem to be a loser, investment wise! Granted Im not doing it entirely for price appreciation but I figure 20 years from t206's will be worth more then than now.

What does everyone think?

I think you'd be better off to view your collecting as a hobby rather than an investment.
Collect cards you like, as opposed to ones your hoping will rise in value, this way you'll love what you have and never be disappointed, especially regarding values.
I think that's one of the biggest problems with the hobby today, those in it looking only to make profits. The market gets inflated, and the supply of good vintage cards disappear into some wealthy individuals safety deposit box as a future "investment"
This is just my opinion...

Regards,
Brent