View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 04:01 PM

Nice father & son outing, Brad. The fact your son wanted to buy a pack for you was especially moving. Thanks for sharing.

My first really nice pull occurred when I was 7 in 1961. My father was a very busy motion picture cameraman for NBC News. Since his work assignments took him away from home for long periods of time, any days when he was at home were special for my whole family.

I do not remember why I was out with my Dad alone, but anyway we stopped at a Wahlgreen's Drugstore in Skokie, Illinois on the way home. It was a cool late summer night with a bit of rain. He bought me one wax pack of 1961 Topps baseball cards. For whatever reason, it was just one pack, and the only pack of seventh series Topps baseball I would ever get.

However, upon opening the wrapper to see the five cards I got, I pulled the Mickey Mantle All-Star! Was I ever thrilled. Twas an unforgettable father & son outing for me on that evening.

I wish I had a happy ending for that wonderful moment. Being the naive, gullible kid I was then, I took the card to Powhatan Park in Skokie where I lived to show anybody who wanted to see my Mickey Mantle. This Italian kid a couple years older than I, whom I'd never met, walked over, looked at the Mantle, then raised his fist to my face. Glaring at me, he spoke ominously, "give me that card, kid, or I'll beat you up." I handed over the card to him. I wound up going to his house, and he gave me in trade as I remember three 1960 Topps cards, all commons, one being Turk Lown. I wanted my Mantle back. My Mom was furious, and told me to demand it back. I never got it back.

However, Joey and I actually became friends, and one time I remember waiting downstairs in their den while Joey and his parents ate their supper. His dad spoke with fury and was so loud I was frightened. I recall a large black 'n white photograph placed prominently of a WWII ship and all her officers and crew. I'm guessing that Joey's dad must have served our country in the Navy.

Anyway, after hearing Joey's dad somehow I had compassion for him. Later on, we were in a field with his little brother, Johnny, who was about my age. Deliberating naughty action, John opined that if he got caught, the first thing that'd happen would be "my father will kill me." I was stunned; I'd never before heard a kid speak like that about what his dad would do to him. I think it was then I mentally dropped the Mantle All-Star. Much as I wanted it back, maybe Joey needed that Mickey Mantle worse than I. Whatever. I never got Mickey back. Joey even tried to pull that trick on me again, but he broke into a grin, realizing I knew he wouldn't do anything. We'd become pals, loyal to each other.

Had the father ripped up the '61 Topps Mickey Mantle All-Star? I will never know this side of heaven.

Many years later, I finally replaced the card. It was always a tough one to find in nice condition. Mine came out an SGC 88 NM/MT. When I see my Mick, I often pause to reflect on my old pals Joey and Johnny; I'm sure they somehow made it through childhood with their hot tempered dad. Still .....you wonder.

Thanks for initiating a good thread. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-26-2015 at 10:45 AM.