View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Put this set together a couple of years ago. I agree with the Brooks Robinson comment. Seems to command a premium more than book. The Richardson card too. The part I like most about the set was the move to take new photos of every player. In 55 and 56 the photos can be duplicates of prior year shots and that's a bit of a turn off for me. Similar thing happened in 66/68 and 67/69 I think. I find that the challenge with the 57 set is the register of the cards. I took me a while to find a mays and mantle that was clear. Same with card 407. and several commons.
Bobby Richardson is one of the guys who seems to sell way over book for pretty much every set he's in. I got lucky and nabbed him early at a decent price, but he still cost more than Drsydale's rookie even. Kubek can be a bit more expensive than one would expect. The Brooks was the last card I got to finish the basic 407 card set. Was hard to find under $100 in any condition, even if Mantle books for significantly more he wasn't too difficult to find for $60 for a decent looking low grade example. The Mays card I also find to be difficult to get with good image clarity, even though some other low-number cards don't have this issue. The reversed image Hank Aaron is one that comes to mind from that series which is almost always found with good clarity. The checklists after the 1/2nd series are pretty darn tough too, I still don't have them beyond the 1/2.