Thread: July Pick ups
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thank a ton, Adam. I would love to learn more about the SPs - those are the ones that were the key to winning the redemption cash prizes, is that right? Given that, they must be really, really short, right -- who are they?

thanks again, mike

UPDATE: actually, I found your Net54 thread, Adam, from a few years ago. Osteen is one of the short prints? And in total there are 10+Checklist other short prints? Is that right?

Does anyone know if anyone has ever put a complete set together? The SP's are about impossible.

I've got most of the regular cards, but none of the SP's.

I've never heard of a complete set. I've asked every 'advanced' collector I can think of and the usual response I get is to just forget about it because you will never find the SPs.

There are 10 SPs plus a non-player redemption piece that could be used to get a booklet of stats and records. That one can be found, though it isn't too easy. The SPs are one of those 'unicorn' issues that I am always searching for.

About 20 years ago there was a decent find of unopened packets. I suspect that the few SPs that have surfaced came from that find or similar rediscovered caches of cards since there is no way that someone would have left a cash prize unredeemed had they known of it. What I am really curious about is whether anyone ever cashed in the grand prize tickets (Agee and Freehan, worth $2,500 each in 1968) or whether those are still floating around. I haven't seen a set of odds but I have a hard time believing that there was more than one of each. Wouldn't those be something to come across in a junk box at the National?

Obviously, someone had to have seen them since they are checklisted.

For now I just content myself with trying to assemble a nicer condition base set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-21-2017 at 02:26 PM.