View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Not pre-war and not all ungraded vintage, but... back around 2000, there was a lot of cards listed on Ebay, mostly graded and had a reserve set. Seller didn't have high feedback. I was the high bidder but it hadn't reached the reserve. Seller reached out to me asking if I still wanted to buy it for the same price. He claimed he was in college and needed the money to fix his car. His story about where he got the cards was odd because I could see in his purchase history that he bought them within the last few months...and paid a lot more. He lived about 2 hours south of where I lived at the time so we agreed to just meet in public. When we met up, he sure as heck had what he said. I don't remember everything, but it was about $3k worth of cards at the time. PSA 8(centered) 58 Topps Mantle AS, Brock rookie PSA 8, Bench rookie PSA 8, Bird/Magic PSA 8, 2001 Topps Rookie Reprints Auto Walter Payton PSA 10 as well as a few other higher graded stars. The lot also included a raw NM Ryan rookie. The card had a wavy top border and I thought it may have been trimmed. Turns out it was just oversized and miscut. Best part was the guy wanted me to pay the $10 shipping charge he had listed in the auction. I pointed out that he didn't ship the cards but gave him the extra money anyway. Good deal for $710