View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 05:45 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I still have the Gehrig and love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
In 2014, I bought a 1935 Wheaties Lou Gehrig (w/ nice full ornate borders) for $19.14 off eBay ($9.99 + $9.15 shipping). It had all the signs of trouble (poor image, low feedback, no other cards for sale by the seller, etc., etc.), and I don't believe it was listed in the usual spot on eBay. But something inside of me told me to take a chance. So I did. By the way, this was not a Buy It Now, this was a full-blown 7-day auction. When I got the card, I was floored that it was the real deal. The back had "$8" written in pencil. Ironically, that's pretty much what I paid for it.

Funny thing is, the seller felt that he "overcharged" me for shipping and refunded me $3.84 to get in line with the actual shipping cost. Oy vay. I feel like such a schmuck today now that I am recalling this "win".

I later traded the Gehrig for a very nice looking T205 Cobb that I subsequently consigned to an AH. It sold for $780. I'd say that the reward outweighed the risk.

By the way, the next thread should be about the bone-headed moves we've all made and later regretted (specifically as it relates to "too good to be true"). I've had plenty of those that have likely fully negated my very few wins.