View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 02:54 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I haven't really decided on what I think about this.

With Coins, the Company is CAC, and they do provide a decent service. Coins have been graded for longer than cards, with all the same issues (shouldn't be a surprise right)
They've been graded for so long, that the "standards" have slipped for several years now, some of it is a need for "new" coins in an acceptable grade, some of it is a lack of coins that are all that great in middle grades. So a VG say 20 years ago would get a better grade today. (Not my opinion, I got that from an article by a very long time dealer. ) So a sticker from CAC actually in most cases does mean "if graded today it will probably grade higher"

I don't see quite the same dynamic in cards. Overall, cards are probably at a point where the standards have tightened up a bit. So I'm thinking that right now it isn't really necessary.
But.........someday it will be. Maybe sooner than later, there's close to 30 years of grading, and the standards have evolved as well as the way they're applied.
PSA got where they are by being "first" (Not actually, but first with some features and certainly first with good marketing)
So if a similar service to CAC is going to happen, and it will (Just did!) It's probably a good business move to start it now.

The big thing in CAC's favor is that it was started by John Albanese, who is a long-time and well respected member of the numismatic community. He has the "credentials"; coin collectors know who he is, and they respect his opinion.

In the case of "Purple Label LLC", who is Greg Campbell? I've been a member of the baseball card community since the 1970s, going to shows, subscribed to Sports Collectors' Digest, The Trader Speaks, Baseball Hobby News, Baseball Cards Magazine, Beckett....., I've been a member of both the CU and Network54 message boards for several years, have bought from/placed bids with most of the major auction houses/dealers, and I have never heard of Greg Campbell anywhere until this thread.

It seems to me, to start something like CAC in the sports card community, and be successful, you should have immediate name recognition; someone like Brent Huigens, Steve Hart, Kit Young, Levi Bleam, Bill Goodwin, Dave Kohler; i.e., someone who has been around for years/decades, and who is known and respected in the community. To me, this Greg Campbell doesn't fit the bill.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 05-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.