View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default What one may not know when posting...

Posted By: DD

Since I am the one that posted the item that started the controversy, I will respond. I do not think that Dan gave me any crap on the post. It seemed he may have (and he'll correct me if I'm wrong) initially thought the post drove up the final price. I understand the point he was making, even if I do not agree with it.

I appreciate all the information on this board, and am interested in learning more about late 19th and early 20th century cards.

I am strictly a dealer of merchandise, usually none of it sports related, unless I can find it at a bargain price. I I buy and sell movie and TV memorabilia for a living, mostly vintage press photos. I have collected many things in the past, but currently enjoy the wheeling and dealing only. I could see that if someone posted information about an item I was bidding on, and I ended up paying more, or losing the item because of the post, that I would not be happy.

I still feel however, that for everything that may be lost, we also gain by finding out about items we would not know about before.

I thought that the Tip Top cards would be of interest to someone here, and posted the info because of this. I had no vested interest in this auction. I am still unsure what to do in the future. Should an opportunity be allowed to slip by because someone may be aware of the item, or do we take a chance that readers of the board already know? I sometimes come across items I either have no interest in, or can't afford to buy, and would be willing to point these out on here. Since many of you collect, you are clearly in a better position to buy them than I am. The question still remains undecided.