View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Marketing Your Cards

Always interesting/funny reading some of the tactics people use to draw more attention to their listings (primarily eBay). I suppose I'm not immune to a few of them myself, but some of them drive me up the wall. In somewhat jest I've listed a "top 10" of sorts that stand out below. Either the way they're described, marketed, or even responses.

Curious what yours may be?

10. Not noting reprints in the title so I can't weed them out of search. (Those crumpled up looking T206 reprints that show up from time to time are a classic example )

9. "LOOKS NICER!", "WOW!!!", L@@K!!!" or similar

8. Quoting SMR values - IMO one of the most useless stats around. Especially when you see people quoting SMR near mint values on a roach card

7. Telling perspective buyers that it looks a grade higher and encouraging them to send it in for a regrade. If you're so sure, do it yourself. (most of these examples I suspect the sellers already tried that avenue and we're denied)

6. Any pre-war listing that says "I am the original owner"

5. Sellers who grade their own cards, apply some happy talk or algorithm to try and convey their expertise here and win your confidence

4. Ridiculous shipping rates and then a 2 to 3 paragraph defensive dissertation somewhere in the description on how that reflects actual shipping cost to them and how they strive for five-star feedback and "if you don't like it, don't bid"

3. "BLAZER!", "PHENOMINAL!", "STUNNING!", "BREATHTAKING!" (Battlefield and Great Lakes Auction House follow this playbook)

2. Noting a price or "best offer" in your listings and then countering an offer with a buck or two off your list price.

1. Any conscious misrepresentation. As in anything along the lines of "my grandfather left it to me", "attic find", "looks old", "looks to be original?" - then of course "no returns accepted". Not noting PSA qualifiers in the title or description though clearly evident in the scan. Photo alterations or touchups (isn't that right, Battlefield?) Common cards, common backs listed as "rare", or "tough"