View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
"Caylee's Law" would make it a felony for parents or caregivers to not report the death of a child to authorities - accidental or otherwise - within one hour.

I'm not sure how that's trying to exploit the situation. That's a good thing whether he's trying to get re-elected or not.
What if the child died at night after being put to bed and wasn't discovered till the next day? What if the parent/caregiver said she went in to check on the kid in the middle of night and thought the kid was sleeping even though it was determined the child died several hours before? Its just another law. I understand it has good intentions, but it has to be proven that the parent knew of the death and didn't report it. Just like in this case, could the mother be proved to show (beyond all reasonable doubt) that she knew of the daughters death? I thought she claimed she thought she was missing? I understand that the law has a good intention but its a common sense law. It'll go thru a million people to sign off on and debate on and more tax dollars and chances are that if the death went unreported then there was malicious intent anyway and we don't have to worry about that law.

What if some people who decide to live in the woods (they exist) have a child that dies for whatever sudden reason and they don't have access to a phone within an hour and they have a burial etc and the next day they go to town and report it? BAM! felony! go to jail!

I dunno, i guess i just hate more laws haha. Maybe its a good one and i'm looking at it from the wrong angle. If so, my apologies.