View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Default New T206 Collector Seeking Advice!

Posted By: Bob D

Ray,

Great post!

1) I think it would be great to have as many different backs as possible. It adds to the fun as sometimes you can get a fairly rare back for a decent price although I think that's changing as people are now paying closer attention to the backs.

2) I collect VERY low grade cards. I've got about 60% of my cards from ebay, usually as part of lots. I've gotten about 30% as part by trading my dups with other collectors. It's tough to find them at local card shows although sometimes it's possible to pick a bargain up from someone who specializes in 50-60's cards and just has a few they want to get rid of. Too often someone will have 1 T206 on a table in F-P and priced at high book.

3) I believe there are 1-2 million cards. Completing a set should be feasible other than the few true rarities. I have about 320 cards, those that were and am 41 yrs old. My plan is to have all the commons by the time I've put the kids through school, buying 10-15 a year. As I near retirement, assuming I'm in good shape financially, I'll shell out for the Cobbs and maybe upgrade some of my real beatup HOFs. So my collection will be a lifetime pursuit. Can't take the money with you!

4) You've reached a full set when YOU think you've reached a full set.

Happy Collecting!