View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 PM

The all black football team has some cross-over value, but I doubt it's worth over $100 to a football collector. To an African American collector it might be worth more.

Don't know about the Packers place mat - one sold and is listed here, but I can't see the price http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...photo-76724128

I've gotten burned on the prices of some college programs of that age - the value there is Fritz Pollard in the Brown line up - I can't tell if he signed it. A Pollard signature can go for $1,000. With Pollard in there I'd double the value without him - so maybe it's a $400 item if he didn't sign it.

Here is some information about the segregated school in Jenkins http://nkaa.uky.edu/record.php?note_id=2692

African American Schools, High Schools - Eastern Kentucky, 1948
Start Year : 1948
In 1948, William T. Gilbert completed his thesis, The Administration and Organization of Secondary Schools for Negro Pupils in Eastern Kentucky, for a Master of Arts degree at Indiana University. A Kentucky school law mandated that all school districts provide 12 grades of segregated school for both races. For many of the eastern counties with few colored students (who lived in scattered locations throughout the county), the law presented a challenge. There were 16 approved Negro high schools in eastern Kentucky from 1918-1940, and two of the schools had been dropped: enrollment was too small at Manchester, and the Vicco school was consolidated with the Hazard school system. The high school classes ranged in size from six students in Pineville to 288 students in Lynch. There were 46 high school teachers, all college graduates. Below is a list of the high school names from p. 25 of Gilbert's thesis, and below that, from p. 90, a list of the institutions from which the high school teachers graduated.

Eastern Kentucky Negro High Schools:

Lincoln [not Liberty]
Middlesboro
Roland-Hayes
Pineville
B. T. Washington
Ashland
Palmer-Dunbar
Wheelwright
Benham
Benham
Rosenwald
Harlan
Lynch
Lynch
Rosenwald
Barbourville
London
London
Dunham
Jenkins
Fee
Maysville
Liberty
Hazard
Perry Cline
Pikeville
Somerset
Somerset

Last edited by revmoran; 10-11-2016 at 05:37 PM.