View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Since we are probably talking about "big name" cards here, my guess is that wealthy collectors want to say they have owned certain cards and, once they have attained them, just pass them along to somebody else.

No need to buy the card to finish a set.
No emotional attachment.
No real reason to own a card (or cards) other than to be able to name drop at a future date so as to inflate their ego.

Just like with art or most other things.

For example, a wealthy person buys a Picasso; not because they like it or knwo anything about it but just because they can and to show off for other peopel at parties.

Or a person buys a Ferrari but they either have no driver's license or they can't drive a stick shift.

Same with some of these cards.

"Why, yes, I have owned an E107 Plank".

Now compare THAT to people on this board, true collectors, who are happy to share the news about the beater T206 no name that completes their team set. Or the person who once owned a certain card but had to sell it for some reason and who are now ecstatic because they were able to buy a similiar card.

My two cents,

David Smith
I never realized all wealthy collectors were so shallow and dumb. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks.
JimB