View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM
George E.

"Using what you are saying, you think it is the chase and not the conquest that cause people to sell their cards soon after they have acquired them?"

Yeah, more or less. The conquest is the essential, but it is not the card, but the emotional high of the victory that is really the goal. All subconsciously, of course.

Then add in factors like the nature of competition in auction buying (I am more likely to be interested in bidding on an item that has 2 bids than one that has no bids. Part of competition is wanting to prove oneself against another, but another part is having the outside validation that the object of pursuit is desirable). Again, subconsciously.

Also, I wonder if another factor is that scans often look better than cards in hand. So there can be buyer's remorse, even with a great card, because it doesn't match up to what you thought when you bought it.

The self-test I devised to see if I was buying strictly emotionally is to ask myself if I would BIN for the same price. Or I ask myself if I would bid now if I knew the same card would be available at the same price next week, or next month. Then I can know that I either escaped future regret, or I know that this one is a keeper.