View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 08:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I like ties in the regular season, because as a result of the ties, there are fewer tied teams at the end of the season, resulting in fewer tie breaking scenarios to determine seeding in the playoffs, some of which are tied to concepts that are not intuitive. Inevitably, without ties, there are a bunch of 10-6 teams that end up tied that require a series of tie breaking rules to untie the knot so to speak.

If two teams are tied after 70 minutes, let them be tied. Is kicking a field goal or flipping a coin any justification for giving them a full game advantage in the standings. Of course not.

If you don’t like ties, then advocate for “sudden death” (as in the playoffs) and determine the winner by actually playing the game.

Giving both teams a chance to score and re-tie the game in OT is a good thing. If they remain tied after 10 minutes, so be it.

Would you advocate in tied basketball games for determining winners by a free throw shooting contest or perhaps a game of HORSE? Of course not.

In baseball would you advocate for a post game homerun derby instead of a tenth inning? Of course not.

And just to be consistent I find settling soccer ties with penalty kicks less than satisfactory.

If you disagree, just tie me up.
the field goal kicking to win the game is just for regular season games in my situation, playoffs would be how they do it now. Soccer does the penalty kicks to decide the world cup!

At the many OTs and regular games, it does come down to who makes the field goal and who doesn't. So a field goal contest really doesnt stray from form. In baseball, it doesnt come down to who hit a home run and who didnt in extra innings like the field goal does in football so I think thats not a good comparison.. Kickers get fired sometimes after missing a big field goal the following week in OT or end of game, baseball players dont lose their jobs for not hitting a home run in extra innings or 9th inning...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-07-2018 at 08:32 AM.