View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Duke Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I like using the WAR stat which takes all aspects of a player’s game and puts it into a number

Mays 156.4 (5th all time)
Mantle 110.3 (20th all time)
Snider 66.4 (131 all time)

You can isolate a stat or two and show that he somehow compares to the others. But he doesn’t. Sniders lifetime stats are most comparable to those of Jim Edmonds (60.4 WAR). Snider is a HOF player all the way. But Mantle and Mays are upper echelon elite players.
You like to use WAR (or is it actually a new-speak term called "war-p") which at best is only an approximation of available data which is made up of imprecise assumptions.

I choose OPS as a more meaningful stat to gauge a ballplayer's offensive worth to his team. Because that's what WINS games.

Mays' OPS # is .941 and Snider's OPS # is .919; however, Snider's value to the Dodgers during the regular seasons (1949 - 1959) was amazing. Especially in World Series
play where Snider's numbers are significantly greater than Mays' numbers in World Series play.

Incidentally, you'll get no arguments from me regarding Mickey Mantle. I grew up seeing him play (watching TV and live at Yankee Stadium). Mickey was my idol.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 09-11-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.